Member News: intandem East Dunbartonshire Recruiting Volunteer Mentors
2 May 2017
Aberlour is recruiting volunteer mentors for its new intandem mentoring project for 8 to 14 year olds who are looked after at home in East Dunbartonshire.
intandem, Scotland’s mentoring programme for young people, brings together vulnerable young people with a mentor to build a consistent and trusting relationship, and improve their chances in life. The Scottish Government has appointed Inspiring Scotland to lead the development of the intandem programme.
Volunteer mentors should be a positive role model who has the ability to connect with children and young people on a one to one basis.
- Provide one-to-one mentoring with a child or young person within East Dunbartonshire;
- Provide support for children/young people to access social opportunities and take part in fun activities within their local area;
- Work alongside a child or young person to set personal goals and motivate and encourage them to take part and make choices in their lives;
- Listen to a child / young person by valuing and respecting their feelings, views and opinions;
- Where required taking an active part in reviews and evaluations.
- A non-judgemental, empathic approach to children/young people
- Positivity and enthusiasm
- Commitment and reliability with good time management
- To be approachable, patient and understanding
- To be honest and trustworthy
- To have a commitment to treat all information in a confidential manner.
Mentoring will take place during days, evenings or at weekends and each visit will last approximately 2 to 4 hours on a weekly or fortnightly basis depending on the needs of the mentee. A minimum commitment of 12 months is required as well as one hour every six weeks for supervision.
Full details are available from the Aberlour website here and anyone interested in volunteering can contact the Aberlour intandem Mentoring Service on 0141 551 3822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org