The first SMN Recognition Awards were presented at our National Event at the COSLA Conference Centre in Edinburgh on Tuesday 2 November 2010. The awards were presented to winning projects and mentors by sporting legend and President of the Scottish Rugby Union Ian 'Mighty Mouse' McLauchlan.
The awards were supported by Big Lottery Scotland and its Chair Alison Magee, who attended the awards ceremony, praised the work of Scottish Mentoring Network and its members. She said that she was very impressed by the wide geographic spread of projects and the quality of work they were undertaking in supporting so many people across such a diverse group of users.
The ‘2010 Mentoring Project of the Year’ award went to MSupport, run by Renfrewshire council assisting the hardest to reach young people within the local area.
Category Award Winners were:
- Business Project of the Year 2010 - PSYBT Aftercare Advisors
- Education Project of the Year 2010 - University of Dundee Peer Connections
- Employment Project of the Year 2010 - Day1 Mentoring Project
- Health & Disability Project of the Year 2010 - Hansel Foundation Fairway Project
- Most Promising New Project - YMCA Scotland Plusone Mentoring
- Social Care & Justice Project of the Year 2010 - Mentoring Support, Renfrewshire Council
- Youth Project of the Year 2010 - Youth Leading the Way
Highly Commended Mentoring Project Certificates were awarded to:
- Eildon Enterprise
- Peebles Youth Trust - Achieve Your Potential
- QMConnect Student Mentoring Project
- Voluntary Sector Gateway West Lothian
Individual Recognition Awards:
- Exceptional Contribution Award 2010 - Marie Waugh, Visibility's Visually Impaired Mentor Service
- Exceptional Contribution Award 2010 - Gemma Welsh, Youth Leading the Way
- Exceptional Contribution Award 2010 - Yvonne Moir, Aberdeen Foyer
Highly Commended Mentor Certificates were awarded to:
- Ann Clark, Braveheart
- Craig Urquhart, Day1
- Elizabeth Duffy, YMCA Bellshill Plusone Mentoring
- George Addison, Link Up Mentoring at Tayside Council on Alcohol
- Jocelyn Naylor, Eildon Housing Association
- Kate McInnes, PSYBT
- Kim Smith, Levenmouth Plusone Mentoring
- Melissa Moyes, University of Dundee Peer Connections
- Mike Isherwood, Achieving Your Potential
- Pat McGinley, Voluntary Sector Gateway West Lothian
More information on the award winners can be found in the event round up under the 'Resources' section of our website.